Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fedora on MS Virtual PC 2007

Finally got a good load of Fedora running in MS Virtual PC 2007, on my Vista laptop. ended up with Fedora 9, simply because it was the most recent 32 bit version on had on my server. I load 32 rather than 64 bit, because HP was so rude as put 32 bit Vista on a 64 bit laptop. Theoretically, the AMD Turion64 X2 should be able to run a 64 bit guest in a 32 bit host OS, but we'll try that later.

A good reference for loading Fedora in VPC2007 can be found on Sean Earp's Blog. He suggested using a Grub option of noreplace-paravirt, which I didn't need. The options that I needed for Fedora 9 were:
clocksource=pit noapic vga=0x700
The vga= directive was a fun one. A value of 0x700 doesn't actually work. Instead, it kicks you to a text based menu that lets you select the mode at boot time. This will let me experiment, until I find the one I like. So far, I'm favoring 0x303.

Next step is to move the image to a USB key.

No comments:

Post a Comment