Thursday, December 09, 2010

So, So, Sad: And its ITIL's Fault

I signed up for a series of ITIL classes with the goal of earning the ITIL Expert Certification. (They're choice of words, not mine; I'm leery of "experts", personally.) There are five classes, each with a test. Once you pass all five classes and tests, there is a sixth class and test.

Yesterday, I found out that I failed the fifth test. I was crushed! Not because I failed: I fail all the time. Constantly. As a matter of fact, I failed tests one and two, but those didn't bother me. Let me explain.

I call the testing format Three Little Kittens.

You get a case study.
Three little kittens, have lost their mittens.
You must select "the best" solution, based upon four chioces:
1. They bought gloves
2. They found their mittens
3. And they shall have no pie
4. Kittens don't wear mittens
The operative factor in this process is the fact that we have to pick "the best" solution. The answers are weighted with scores of 5, 3, 1, and 0 points. In the case study above, the answers logically break out as follows.
1. Throw money at the problem
2. A definitive solution
3. Punishment does not solve the problem
4. True, but irrelevant
Thus, the 5 point answer is "2", the 3 point answer is "1", the 1 point answer is "3", and number "4" is worth nothing, even though it is completely accurate.

I failed the first two tests because I did not personally recognize the level of dedication that is needed for the certification track. Furthermore, the class vendor, Global Knowledge, has not done a good job of setting expectations. Embarking on this process requires either significant management and project experience, or the purchase of supplemental material and several weeks of study before the class.

This certification also requires complete support from your employer. They have got to be willing to give you the time and resources to succeed. They have got to recognize the value they will receive from this process.

I have scheduled to retake the class and tests for 1 and 2. After passing tests 3 and 4, I was very confident that I understood the testing method, and the amount of preparation needed before hand. My results for test 5?
50% of answers were 5 pointers
12% of answers were 3 pointers
 0% of answers were 1 pointers
38% of answers were 0 pointers
Fail!

So, whose fault is this? Doesn't matter (see justification 3 above.) But I am sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment