Monday, August 11, 2008

Vmware Server 2 Beta

Ran into an interesting problem attemptting to install Vmware Server 2 Beta. I've been working almost exclusively with ESX for the last few months and decided to replace my Xen system with the free Vmare product. My motivation was to experiment with the user interface.

The RPM imploded during the first install. I guessed the download was corrupted. I downloaded the file a second time, but it refused to try a second install. Since it was not in the RPM database, I knew it had to be some file system droppings.

First, I cleared some files from /usr/bin:
rm -rf /usr/bin/vm*
That didn't work, so the next step was to nuke the application directory:
rm -rf /etc/vmware/*
That got it. The RPM is installed. Now we have to figure out how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment