Sunday, April 04, 2010

Cherry Blossom Fireworks Fail

I got lost on the way to watch the DC Cherry Blossom Festival Fireworks last night. I'm not sure its completely my fault... So did 10,000 other people.

The paper said the fireworks would be part of the music festival going on at the Southwest Water Front (A) at 7th and Maine. The crowd assumed it would be at the Tidal Basin, and collected on its shores (B).


The problem with the waterfront, is that it is highly developed, so there are few places to kickback away from the crowd. I decided I would watch from Potomac Park (C) and have a picnic.

To get to the park, I had to foot it in through the crowd from the Smithsonian Metro. I made a wrong turn, and ended up "on the wrong island" (D). The good news was no crowd. The bad news was trees and bridges obstructing the view.

I tried my Sprint PDA's navigation system-- it said I was at the Pentagon Lagoon.

Better luck next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment